10.07.2010

Faith

Sometimes things happen that really really suck and I wonder why. Why could everything seem to be headed for better days and then all of a sudden come crashing down? We've been tested more times than I can count since I joined the unemployed, and Monday was another one of those days.

On Saturday we decided to put Kyle in the bigger bedroom, requiring a TON of stuff being moved and rearranged, and as it happens every day, it started getting dark. A light switch was turned on that should never be turned on, and the power to about 1/4 of the house was knocked out. Best part? Even after messing with the circuit breakers, it refused to cooperate. We had to rearrange some stuff in the living room to have light and an alarm clock, but it seemed ok.

On Sunday we went to town for church, and a little bit after we got home, T noticed a weird burning smell in the kitchen near the furnace. Lovely. About a half-hour of searching finally brought us to the conclusion that it was coming from the light switch that had quit working months before. Sure enough, spark and smoke. Oh yay. Enough is enough, right? I turned off the power to everything in the house (except the fridge) at the fuse box and we decided to stay in a motel for the night and get up early to look for rentals.... ANY rentals.

We checked several places on Monday that looked promising, but the best places (obviously) were ridiculously expensive. $1500 for a rental... without any land... There's a barn, but unless I pay an EXTRA $200 a month, it will be used by the owners? Riiiight.... We had almost given up entirely when we decided to go to the gas station. This is where it gets interesting, if not a little bit eery and supernatural.

While I was waiting for T to come out of the store, I opened my phone's Facebook app and it politely asked me "What's on your mind?" Oh geez! Where do I even start? I went with a simple "I don't want to stress anymore" and clicked "Share." Right as my finger touched the screen, my phone started to ring. I'm not kidding. It's like my index finger willed the ringer to life. I didn't really recognize the number, but I thought I'd answer anyway. This was the conversation:

Me: Hello?
Mystery Voice: Is Theresa there?
Me: This is.
Mystery Voice: Hi Theresa. This is Danielle from Manpower.
Me: Uh-huh...
Danielle: I just wanted to call and let you know we have a position at Wolverine that's opened up on second shift.

Crap....

Me: Second shift? I put my availability down as first shift only.
Danielle: Okay.... I do have ONE opening on first shift. It's for Poly....
Me: Who?
Danielle: Poly... It's an expeditor position.
Me: Oh, okay! I'll take it!!
Danielle: Okay. We'll need you to come in today and fill out some paperwork, and then you'll start at 5:30am tomorrow.

I'm sure there was a little more, but you get the idea. How is it possible to question faith when it happens like that? Seriously. I was tested, and God got involved. Obviously. I didn't whine or cry or demand an explanation as to why bad things "always happened to me." I didn't feel sorry for myself and tell everyone how much my life sucked and how things never worked out for me. Instead I sat back, took a deep breath, and told T things would work out. They always do. There's never a reason to doubt, even when it seems impossible.

And I haven't forgotten the electrical issues. The smoky light switch was as easy as getting a new switch and replacing the old melted burned one. The old one wasn't even connected to one of the wires anymore. (Me=genius!) And the power to the rest of the house returned. I guess it just needed a break. And it'll do until the right place comes along. Because we ARE blessed. Even when it seems we are cursed, we are blessed. We always pull through because God always comes through. Never lose faith. There's no reason to. Things will always work out in the end, even if it wasn't exactly the ending you pictured when disaster struck.

And I've said it many many times this week.... I LOVE my job!

0 comments:

Post a Comment